For the dressing:
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 TBS. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup plus 1 TBS. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 TBS. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 8 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 4 small or 3 large beets, peeled and shredded
- 8 – 10 romaine lettuce leaves
To make the dressing, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, parsley, salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the carrots with ¼ cup of the dressing and let marinate for 15 minutes. In another bowl, combine the beets and the remaining dressing and let marinate for 15 minutes.
Arrange small, separate mounds of the carrots and beets on a lettuce leaf. Garnish with additional cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of parsley.