- 2 pc frozen lobster bodies, chopped (Lobster Base can be substituted) I used 1 Tbsp. lobster base
- 2 carrots, rough chop
- 1 onion, rough chop
- 6 ribs celery, rough chop
- 4 clove garlic
- 5 pc lime leaf (can use zest of one lime)
- 1 finger fresh ginger, rough chop
- 2 stalk lemongrass, rough chop
- 3 qts Coconut Milk
- 1 qt Heavy whipping cream
- 1 qt water
- 1 tbl tomato paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 oz olive oil
- 2 tbl kosher salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup cornstarch – 1 tbl water (for thickening slurry)
In a medium to large soup pot, bring to medium heat, add olive oil chopped lobster bodies, sauté for about 90 seconds, add garlic, ginger, lemongrass and lime leaf, sauté another minute, add tomato paste, celery, onion and carrots, sauté another minute. When all ingredients have had a chance to become translucent, add water. Reduce your new “lobster stock” by at least half, this is where you will get maximum flavor, you can choose to add a small amount of lobster base if you have some available.
Once your stock has been reduced by half, you will add your heavy cream and your coconut milk, bring to boil and turn to low and simmer 30 minutes, add basil and simmer for another 10 minutes.
To thicken your soup slightly you will want to use a cornstarch “slurry”, take about a quarter cup of cornstarch and mix it with a little bit of water until you get a nice white paste, add this to your simmering bisque, very important that the soup is still rolling or simmering when adding your starch. Mix thoroughly, season with fish sauce and salt, season to your likening, strain soup through a fine mesh strainer and serve with some chopped chives and croutons.