This recipe also can make two 8-inch pies; be sure to leave the crust in the pie plate before adding the filling.
For the Crust
- 32 gingersnaps, coarsely broken
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter melted
For the Filling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- (1 scant tablespoon)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 ¼ cups canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Garnish
- ¼ small sugar pumpkin, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups packed light- brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 piece (2 inches long and 1 inch wide peeled fresh ginger, sliced ¼ inches thick
1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350. Process gingersnaps, granulated sugar, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add butter, and process until combined. Divide mixture among 5 6 inch pie plates, pressing into bottom and up sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake until darkened and firm, 11 to 13 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using an offset spatula. Carefully unmold the crusts, and return to sheet to cool (crusts can be stored in pie plates in airtight containers for up to 2 days.)
2. Make the filling: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a bowl. Let stand until softened about 5 minutes.
3. Combine pumpkin, egg yolk, ¼ cup granulated sugar, milk, salt and spices in a saucepan over medium hear, Cook stirring, until mixture begins to thicken about 8 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Let cool completely.
4. Beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining ½ cups granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Whish one-third of beaten egg whites into cooled pumpkin mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites (Filling can be refrigerated, covered, and overnight.) Spoon into pie shells, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 hours.)
5. Make the garnish: Using a vegetable peeler, shave pumpkin into thin, wide ribbons. Bring water, brown sugar cinnamon sticks and ginger to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until reduced by half about 5 minutes. Add pumpkin pieces, Reduce heat. Simmer gently until cool completely (Garnish can stand at room temperature for up to 3 hours.) Top each pie with 3 or 4 pumpkin pieces, discarding syrup serve immediately.