In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.
- 1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells – or used canned
- 1/3 cup crushed crackers
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ lemon – juiced
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with preferred sauce.
Alternative Crab Cake – without the Crab – “Zucchini Cakes”
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.