Make sure you let the pieces of dough rest after forming them into balls and again after rolling them into 4-inch circles; otherwise, they will shrink back and not hold their shape.
- 1 package dry active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup water (warm -- 110 to 115 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus extra for brushing
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt , plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour , sieved (before measuring) to remove coarse flakes of bran
- 2 cups bread flour , plus additional as needed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface and, if it is sticky, sprinkle very lightly with flour. Following illustrations 1 through 4 below, cut, shape, and roll dough. If using sesame seeds, brush tops of circles lightly with water, sprinkle each circle with 3/4 teaspoon seeds, and gently roll over with rolling pin once or twice so seeds adhere to dough.
3. About 30 minutes prior to cooking, adjust oven rack to lowest position, line rack with unglazed baking tiles, pizza stone, or preheated baking sheet and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bake dough rounds on preheated tiles or pizza stone until bread is puffed and golden brown on bottom, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Transfer breads to wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; wrap in clean kitchen towels and serve warm or at room temperature.